Announcing Istio 1.1.13
Istio 1.1.13 patch release.
We’re pleased to announce the availability of Istio 1.1.13. Please see below for what’s changed.
BEFORE YOU UPGRADE
Things to know and prepare before upgrading.
Download and install this release.
Visit the documentation for this release.
Inspect the full set of source code changes.
This release contains fixes for the security vulnerabilities described in ISTIO-SECURITY-2019-003 and ISTIO-SECURITY-2019-004. Specifically:
ISTIO-SECURITY-2019-003: An Envoy user reported publicly an issue (c.f. Envoy Issue 7728) about regular expressions matching that crashes Envoy with very large URIs.
* CVE-2019-14993: After investigation, the Istio team has found that this issue could be leveraged for a DoS attack in Istio, if users are employing regular expressions in some of the Istio APIs:
ISTIO-SECURITY-2019-004: Envoy, and subsequently Istio are vulnerable to a series of trivial HTTP/2-based DoS attacks:
* CVE-2019-9512: HTTP/2 flood using
PING frames and queuing of response
PING ACK frames that results in unbounded memory growth (which can lead to out of memory conditions).
* CVE-2019-9513: HTTP/2 flood using PRIORITY frames that results in excessive CPU usage and starvation of other clients.
* CVE-2019-9514: HTTP/2 flood using
HEADERS frames with invalid HTTP headers and queuing of response
RST_STREAM frames that results in unbounded memory growth (which can lead to out of memory conditions).
* CVE-2019-9515: HTTP/2 flood using
SETTINGS frames and queuing of
SETTINGS ACK frames that results in unbounded memory growth (which can lead to out of memory conditions).
* CVE-2019-9518: HTTP/2 flood using frames with an empty payload that results in excessive CPU usage and starvation of other clients.
Nothing else is included in this release except for the above security fixes.