Kubernetes 1.22 will only work with Istio 1.10 and above. Click here for the supported version table.
The Istio service mesh
Istio extends Kubernetes to establish a programmable, application-aware network using the powerful Envoy service proxy. Working with both Kubernetes and traditional workloads, Istio brings standard, universal traffic management, telemetry, and security to complex deployments.
Deploy capabilities like inter-service routing, failure recovery and load balancing.
Provide an end-to-end view of traffic flow and service performance.
Engage encryption, role-based access, and authentication across services.
From start-up to enterprise, cloud native to on-premises, organizations of all shapes, sizes, and missions deploy Istio to solve immediate problems. With Istio in place, they can build out additional capabilities on their service mesh. From compliance to reliability, Istio has the answer. Learn about some of Istio’s key use cases.
- We decided to just try out Istio to see how it would go, and we ended up delivering in the space of about a week – more than we had done in the last four months trying to roll it ourselves.
- Istio's extensibility, broad feature support and scalability make it a great choice for Airbnb.
- Istio deployment is a no-brainer. You install it and it runs.
- It felt like it could be the next Kubernetes, for service mesh.
- Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very intuitive and easy to understand.
Istio is supported and implemented by an ecosystem of leading providers and consultants. You can install and manage Istio yourself or use a one-click install feature of your Kubernetes or cloud provider. Another option is to turn to a provider for a fully managed service mesh based on Istio. Choose the way that works for you.