Istio 0.3 is our third release, focused on performance, stability, and reliability, as well as a great developer experience. We expect to encourage production usage of Istio 0.3, which will include the following:
- Extensive integration and load testing of common user scenarios.
- Improved support for debugging and tracing of common issues.
- Basic HA configurations and instructions for scaling Istio.
- Baseline performance numbers and targets for each component.
- Support for incremental adoption of Istio into Kubernetes clusters.
- Support for incremental adoption of mutual TLS throughout an Istio Mesh.
- Basic Authorization using RBAC.
- Improved support for VMs joining an Istio Mesh.
- Improved support for non-Kubernetes use cases.
- Support for backwards compatibility and Istio Upgrades.
Our fourth release, 0.4, will include support for merging multiple Istio installations into a single Istio Mesh, as well as additional features based on community feedback. Here are some examples of features we could work on:
- Support for additional logging, monitoring, tracing, rate limiting etc. adapters.
- Configuration rollout and management.
- Support for multiple clusters in a single mesh.
- Client-oriented telemetry collection and distribution.
- Global load balancing with autoscaling.
- Support for the Open Service Broker APIs.
- Pluggable identity provisioning system to support custom CA (Vault) and custom-defined identity.
- API Management functionality.
Please get in touch if there are features you’d like to see in our future releases!